Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: jkell]
    #499896 - 11/21/10 11:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jkell said:
I read this post an watched that video and I going to have to agree with Lays. If you give an auto a root system of a mother that is well established how wouldn't the auto get bigger than normal. It seems like common sense. The lifetime of an auto is limited so imagine if you were able to skip all the seedling/root establishing stage and jump right into vegging with a great root system, the plant would in theory shoot up. Seems kinda like common sense to me.

Autos don't veg, they go into flower after a few days after germination, well before you can graft them.

Grafting a auto wouldn't make it veg longer either.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewholesheet
Stranger
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: maryanne3087]
    #500121 - 11/22/10 04:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

how long does it take a graft to get into full growing speed???

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

#500155 - 11/22/10 07:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

jkell said:
I read this post an watched that video and I going to have to agree with Lays. If you give an auto a root system of a mother that is well established how wouldn't the auto get bigger than normal. It seems like common sense. The lifetime of an auto is limited so imagine if you were able to skip all the seedling/root establishing stage and jump right into vegging with a great root system, the plant would in theory shoot up. Seems kinda like common sense to me.

Autos don't veg, they go into flower after a few days after germination, well before you can graft them.

That's what I was tryin to say.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #500591 - 11/24/10 02:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

Tank333 said:
So as long as I kept all the branches labeled, I could have one mother plant that produced clones for multiple strains?! That's awesome!

Even if the branches weren't labeled, your mother plant would still produce clones for multiple strains.

OMG! You mean these aren't "magic labels" like the guy at the hydro store told me!?

Jesus christ, you must think I'm a retard, don't you? Of course the branches will continue to produce the same strain even if you don't label them. But if you don't, you're quite likely to forget which branch was what strain.

--------------------
My best run so far

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Tank333]
    #500593 - 11/24/10 02:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was pointing out your implication makes you look like a retard.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #500595 - 11/24/10 03:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

My implication? What? That suggesting that by grafting and labeling his mother, a medical patient who grows his own medicine can grow multiple strains on the same mother, thus saving him valuable plant slots that he could use for his crops instead of having extra mothers? How the hell does that make me look like a retard? You pointing out that the labels don't have to be there for the plant to continue doing this was superfluous and rude. You may know what you're talking about most of the time, but you're one hell of a troll!

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #500938 - 11/26/10 08:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

jkell said:

Have you grown an auto mary?

Don't think you have or you would know you have plenty of time to graft it.

And if you can graft seedlings then that's even better.

heres an example day 39 just starting to show flowers

I don't consider 5 and a half weeks to be a few days after germination.

The finished plant even looks like it grew taller while in flowering also.

1 week off for grafting for about 4 weeks of what should be faster growth. Sounds like it should grow a shitload more than normal to me (in cact a small scion gets near 1 years growth in a month, even though this is probably a bit different).

Here's another quote from someone that posted on the day 49 vid
Quote:

the other 1 started flowering at day 55 ,it didnt grow any higher after it started to flower im now at day 107 and is still not ready,

I have also seen a strain start at like 14 days, think it was the dwarf. Depends on genetics most likely, but as you can see there is plenty of time.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Edited by Laysthepipe (11/26/10 05:04 PM)

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #501139 - 11/27/10 09:54 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This is humboldt coffee talk.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #501194 - 11/27/10 02:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think that some autos veg for a few weeks.  Any has anybody thought of the practical application of grafting an indica to a sativa rootstock for a guerrilla grow?

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: SmOakland]
    #501313 - 11/27/10 11:24 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
I think that some autos veg for a few weeks.  Any has anybody thought of the practical application of grafting an indica to a sativa rootstock for a guerrilla grow?

This would be cool if you like..

Let the sativa plant get like 2ft tall then cut the cola and graft an indica to the cola, maybe let the sativa get taller.

Then you'd have indica buds on top finish early, and you can harvest the sativa buds a few weeks later that are near the bottom of the plant.

Not sure why not just have two plants though in this situation unless you just want one plant if its in your yard or something.

--------------------

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#501479 - 11/28/10 04:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Was i not clear?  My idea was to plant a sativa, cut it off below all nodes and graft an indica onto it before transplanting it in the wild/woods/secret place where it would need to receive some water from natural sources.

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#501487 - 11/28/10 04:39 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

go do it, and get back with me.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#501488 - 11/28/10 04:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Was i not clear?  My idea was to plant a sativa, cut it off below all nodes and graft an indica onto it before transplanting it in the wild/woods/secret place where it would need to receive some water from natural sources.

Are you talking about helping to alleviate some physiological discrepancy between the two plants like water requirements?  If so, such disparities involve more than simple root structure

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: kyuzo]
    #501505 - 11/28/10 05:24 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

SmOakland said:

Are you talking about helping to alleviate some physiological discrepancy between the two plants like water requirements?  If so, such disparities involve more than simple root structure

I was just wondering.  Do you have any actual explanation as to why such a method would not have a practical application?

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#501512 - 11/28/10 05:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

SmOakland said:

I was just wondering.  Do you have any actual explanation as to why such a method would not have a practical application?

My comment was concerning the fact that the root system isn't the lone determining factor for water requirements.  Could it be beneficial?  There's a possibility that it might be; depending on what exactly you were trying to do, and if the net benefit outweighed the stress caused by grafting. 

But then again, I'm not sure there would be any benefit to grafting a rose bush onto the root system of a cactus (if it was possible), being that the main water saving systems of the cactus are in the actual plant, and not the roots

Edited by kyuzo (11/28/10 05:48 PM)

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#501516 - 11/28/10 06:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:

Yea you were clear but doesn't make sense really.

Whats the deal with sativa roots? Why not just keep the indica roots?

Unless your going to cut down a 25 foot bush to graft onto, then it would be understandable, huge root system, otherwise, I don't see why not just keep an indica.

Planted at the same time I would think both the indica and sativas roots shouldn't be too different in size (atleast not until the sativa is a beast, and I don't think anyone would want to cut down a sativa larger than them at the base to graft an indica to it), So I don't see where you are going with this one.

--------------------

Edited by Laysthepipe (11/28/10 08:35 PM)

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#501613 - 11/29/10 09:22 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Sativas have larger sprawling root systems.  I would think they would continue to grow very large even if they had a relatively small indica grafted onto them.  Big root system + small plant means you will need to water it less.

Offlinewholesheet
Stranger
    #501682 - 11/29/10 03:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i've heard u can graft to tomatoes.. use their roots

Edited by wholesheet (11/29/10 03:50 PM)

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: wholesheet]
    #501685 - 11/29/10 03:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wholesheet said:

Doubt it.  Hops maybe, tomatoes no.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#501699 - 11/29/10 05:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Quote:

wholesheet said:

Doubt it.  Hops maybe, tomatoes no.

Worth a try with shitty seeds to see if it works, I might try in spring just to see if it works then kill the plant, I won't grow outside until the plants legal so it'd just be a quick test.

It depends, I don't think I have many green zebra seeds left though and it sucks when I moved I had one with about 30 tomatoes on it I had to leave behind because it was straight in the ground. This year I am getting some damn green zebras, I have wanted to for two years now.

Tomato plant stems are pretty damned weak though and normally need support.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale