Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #497290 - 11/12/10 01:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
It doesn't matter.  It's already been done, and shown that it doesn't increase yield.

Link?

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
  They attach a branch of a strain that yields less to the root system of a strain that was higher yielding  in hope to get a bigger yield from the grafted strain.

What you described is trying to change the genetics of a plant by grafting for more yield, this is changing the growing conditions of the plant by grafting for more yield.

A normal plant grafted onto a rootstock of a normal plant will only yield what the scion normally would have yielded with the same amount of roots/surface area. This experiment shouldn't have even been tryed, it is kind of common sense.

An auto with limited life cannot reach the root system or surface area of leaves to collect light that a 1-2 year old mother can.

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
  They attach a branch of a strain that yields less to the root system of a strain that was higher yielding  in hope to get a bigger yield from the grafted strain.

What you described is like trying to graft a non mescaline containing cacti onto a trich to get it to produce mescaline in it.

Comparing what I'm talking about to cacti would be kind of like using a loph (that takes years to get a good root system) to an already established trichocereus root system and larger cacti/surface area to get sun with causing explosive growth.

Loph seemed reasonable since the root system and surface area of the plant both contributing to the growth of the plant will be a lot smaller than the stock trichocereus, just like the auto will be to a mother.

And if it did work you could pretty much perpetual harvest nice sized buds off of one plant that never leaves veg.

Edited by Laysthepipe (11/12/10 01:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #497390 - 11/12/10 12:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The video that they posted up top mentioned it.  if  you would have watched it and listened they tried what I was describing.

Now as to the root base size, the train of though t you have makes sense.  But I still doubt that it would work in obtaining bigger buds.  Just my opinion on that.  But feel free to do and prove me wrong.  And continually keeping it in veg  hours would just use more electricity no??

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#497407 - 11/12/10 01:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
continually keeping it in veg  hours would just use more electricity no??

A real mother plant (for sog) will always stay in veg anyways.

I would try this, I just don't have a mother or plants to do it with.

I rechecked the vid, an auto is still a different story since the limited life cycle of it really restricts the plants size and rootsize.

Just doing it with a normal plant though, I don't see why any other normal type cannabis strain (sativa/indica) would have a problem getting a large root system given time. So what he was saying there kinda doesn't add up to me. The diesel and cheese should be able to get just as big of a root system as the haze imo.

With an auto though say you have an auto strain that only gets about 1 ft tall max. Putting that on top of a large mother with a really good sized root system and is about 3-5 ft tall. I think that would give it a nice boost.

Edited by Laysthepipe (11/12/10 02:12 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #497422 - 11/12/10 02:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It MAY give it a boost.  you wont  know until you try though.  And all my mothers stay under floros so it would be a waste of time and effort for me to try it.  Plus I don't have any auto-flower strains.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #497592 - 11/13/10 07:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I read this post an watched that video and I going to have to agree with Lays. If you give an auto a root system of a mother that is well established how wouldn't the auto get bigger than normal. It seems like common sense. The lifetime of an auto is limited so imagine if you were able to skip all the seedling/root establishing stage and jump right into vegging with a great root system, the plant would in theory shoot up. Seems kinda like common sense to me.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: jkell]
    #498023 - 11/14/10 06:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Then by all means.  Do it and prove me wrong.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #498241 - 11/15/10 03:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You guys all know autos have a limited life span right? Has anybody took into account the amount of time it's gonna take to do the graft itself.

Now if you want to test your theory without having to do a graft here ya go. Take a plant that is growing in soil and has to look for it's nutrients by growing a larger root system. Then transplant it into a hydro system (I've done this many times and the shock will only last a few days at most if done right, way less time then a graft would take) where the nutrients are delivered to it which means the root mass it grew in the soil is much larger then the one it would need in a hydro set up. :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Magash]
    #498249 - 11/15/10 04:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I was thinking about that after i made my last post.  You can't even really clone autos because of this.  So i was figuring i'd let them find out the hard way.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #498254 - 11/15/10 04:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

All the auto's I've grown are low yield.
Why put all that time into them?

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: KaptKid]
    #498308 - 11/15/10 08:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

To get bud while still being able to just keep your mother in veg and get cuttings off her. its a win win

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Magash]
    #498316 - 11/15/10 08:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
You guys all know autos have a limited life span right? Has anybody took into account the amount of time it's gonna take to do the graft itself.

seven days or so for it to establish?

7 days out of the 70-100 day life cycle isn't that bad to give it a bigger plant to feed off of.

It still should get bigger than it normally would have when you consider how much a grown plant can grow vs a premature plant.

The bigger the plant gets while grafted the more space it has to produce buds.

How many inches does a large grown plant grow per day?

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #498337 - 11/15/10 08:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Some strains claim a inch or so a day. I'm sure some of the old school Colombians and Mexican plant probably do since they use to hit 25 feet tall but the strains nowadays I haven't seen it.

This grafting thing has been done before. I believe the results are in "Marijuana Botany" by Robert Connell Clarke.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

#498456 - 11/16/10 05:59 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

SO if you want to graft an auto to a fully mature mother you're gonna have one HUGE problem. The auto goes straight into flower and pretty much bypasses the veg stage. How are you going to get the stem of the auto big enough to even graft to a large mothers stems. By the time the autos stem is big enough it will have almost finished its growing cycle.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: brifunforme]
    #498476 - 11/16/10 08:03 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

brifunforme said:
SO if you want to graft an auto to a fully mature mother you're gonna have one HUGE problem. The auto goes straight into flower and pretty much bypasses the veg stage. How are you going to get the stem of the auto big enough to even graft to a large mothers stems. By the time the autos stem is big enough it will have almost finished its growing cycle.

The pics I have found show some very small stems grafted to large stalks.  It looks like the size difference creates a bottle-neck condition, not allowing the full thick mother stock to provide 100% capacity... kind of like trying to merge a 6 lane highway down to 2 lanes.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: DoctorDarkMatter]
    #498507 - 11/16/10 09:21 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorDarkMatter said:
I would see that to be the only benefit other then variety of grafting. That way you could cross maybe three or four strains together at once or more.In theory, I'm no expert either.

are you talking about a 4 way cross, or just crossing a number of strains?  For a four way cross, you would need a total of 4 plants and two generations of seed:  plant a cross with plant b.  Then cross plant c with plant d.  finally cross plant ab with plant cd

If you're talking about crossing a number of plants at one time, it would work, but it would be nearly impossible to know what crossed with what,

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: kyuzo]
    #498586 - 11/16/10 01:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No, he's talking about having 4 different strains grafted onto 1 plant.  Not breeding,.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDoctorDarkMatter
Stranger

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: kyuzo]
    #498615 - 11/16/10 02:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was talking about breeding, it just seemed to make more sense to graft them on for a purpose other then just grafting branches on to a plant to have different strains flowering.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: DoctorDarkMatter]
    #498626 - 11/16/10 03:40 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes but we were not talking about breeding.  And the more valid point to having more than one strain on a plant is not so much to flower it, but keep it as a mother so you don't have to have as many mothers.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinewholesheet
Stranger
    #498687 - 11/16/10 07:40 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

grafting for flowering seems like wasting time.. grafting for mothers seem like a worth while safe saver, as long as u don't forget what and where u grafted..

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Tank333]
    #499895 - 11/21/10 11:23 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
So as long as I kept all the branches labeled, I could have one mother plant that produced clones for multiple strains?! That's awesome!

Even if the branches weren't labeled, your mother plant would still produce clones for multiple strains.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies