Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

Guerrilla's First Grow (Skunkberry in Soil) Day 20 Veg
    #233263 - 05/27/09 10:50 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I recently just move and got access to a small greenhouse with electricity () so the growing is on baby. My philosophy with this grow is to keep it as simple as possible because in the past trying to do a hydroponic thing without really knowing what I was doing made it really not fun. I've researched quite a bit and I was consider myself having a limited amount of knowledge and some crossover knowledge from my time with shrooms, so I feel fairly confident this will be a successful grow.

To start off with

My equipment I'm using for this grow

- 125 watt CFL with hood for the Veg process

- An extra smaller (25 watt I think?) 6500k spectrum fluoro for the first week and to suppliment lighting

- A 1000 watt HPS big fucking light for the Flowering process

- Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil (heard nothing but good things about this soil in my research)

- 3 gallon pots (I'm going to keep the plants in the same pots all the way through)

- Superthrive, Hydroguard, PH UP, PH Down, some other stuff I can't think of right now

- Skunkberry seeds purchased from the Vancouver Seed Bank. (http://www.vancouverseedbank.ca/cata...roducts_id=210) I picked Skunkberry due to my personally liking it's genetics and it's reputation of being fairly forgiving to grow.

So today is about day four in the process. I'm going to try to grow three plants to begin with. The last three days my little friends have been germinating in paper towels in a special incubator with a heating mat underneath them. Today I'm going to put them in soil and put them out in the green house.

The past few days I've spent cleaning out the greenhouse which has been vacant for at least two or three years and the past owner left a whole range of pots and other stuff in there that I didn't want to use. Also the place while being relatively clean had a ton of cobwebs and other stuff in there that frightened me. As a former shroom grower I am absolutely obsessed with keeping a clean area and destroying any contaminants before they fuck with my little friends. Also from previous projects I know the more work you put in at the beginning the more problems you eliminate for yourself down the road. So the last two days have been sweeping out, throwing away, and Lysoling every inch of the room, also yesterday I set off a bug bomb in there. Hopefully any annoying little fuckers that want to play with my plants are in buggy heaven now.

I'm about to go put my seeds into soil and dial in my green house, hopefully this all goes well but I'm excited.

I'm hoping to complete this process 70 or so days as I'd like to harvest in late August.

Edited by Guerrilla (06/28/09 02:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

Re: Guerrilla's First Grow (Skunkberry in Soil) [Re: Guerrilla]
    #233264 - 05/27/09 10:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Day Four

So my seeds in soil. Unfortuantely only two out of my three seeds seemed to germinate. The third seed looks to have cracked but nothing came out. I threw the two germinated seeds into the three gallon pots and they're going to be under 24/7 light for the first week or two until they become strong enough to change the light cycle down to 18/6. It'll be good to change the lighting cycle down during the hottest parts of the day here.

The seed that didn't germinate I've put in a pot half full of soil (It all kind of worked out since I only had enough soil for about 2 1/2 of my pots) and put it on the roof of my greenhouse. I doubt it's going to have much of a chance to live as the environment where I live isn't really condusive to quality marijuana growing. However, I think it'll be a good chance to see what kind of pests will attack a unprotected pot in the open, so I have a better idea of how and what I'm protecting my greenhouse against outside.

The temp inside the greenhouse may be a problem as we approach the summer months as yesterday it was swinging up into the 100s. I put a huge industrial fan on a timer to go during the hottest parts of the day. The fan was able to bring the temp down to the high 80s but I'm still extremely concerned about temp swings and how that's going to effect my little friends. I think I'm going to have to keep a constant vigilance on this.

I'm going to put up black plastic over the windows soon to eliminate light leaks. The only reason I haven't done it yet is I haven't been able to find a staple gun (I'm a cheap motherfucker haha) and also I have to think all the natural light coming through the windows is beneficial to my little friends in this stage.

I'm also concerned about humidity as it's too low. I understand the sweet zone for humidity for marijuana is between 50% to 80%. My humidity is hovering around 45% If this continues for a few more days I shall do something about this. Maybe put a humidifer in there.

My humidity is on average around 45%
Temp is on average between 70 and 90 degrees

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#233265 - 05/27/09 10:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Day Five

I'm pretty sure I killed my little friends :frown: I haven't been around the last day or two to check on them. When I went to check on them the temp was near 100 degrees and the soil was bone dry. My associate who I asked to turn off one fan that was on a timer decided to turn over every fan in the room which shot the temp up and humidity down. It's my own fault for starting this when I couldn't give constant vigilance and before I knew the ins and outs of my greenhouse... but oh well

I'll keep waiting and hoping they come up. I'll probably give it until Saturday before I declare it a loss and try again. I'm kind of upset but oh well, you got to make mistakes to learn.

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#233266 - 05/27/09 10:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

So the award for the dumbest fucker of the day award goes too...

*drum roll*

GuerrillaRed!

Who-Zah!

The greenhouse had a ton a of windows... that open... with screens... that when open get the temp in the greenhouse down to a perfect 75-80 range...

You think I would've noticed that spending a couple days out there cleaning it out and getting it ready Ah well, first grow in a new room no worries.

Anyway the room is cool temp wise and beautiful now as a gentle breeze is blowing on my pots. I can't imagine my seeds are still alive or at the least too happy with all my fuck-ups so far but hopefully they're still sailing along. I'll give 'em until Saturday to see sprouts before I try again with a new batch. In my previous attempts I had several fuck ups as well before I actually nailed the sweet spot for shroom and weed grows. I got plenty of time, plenty of supplies, and a really bitchin' secure grow room so no worries.

I'll report back if anything new pops up.

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#234570 - 05/31/09 12:29 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I decided to scrub my first attempt, it's been a couple of days. I don't feel good about the conditions in the greenhouse, I have some security fears, and it looks like something actually dug into the soil and pulled out the seeds (what the fuck?)

Alright attempt #2

I have four seeds soaking in water as I type this and today I'm going to blackout my greenhouse. I made a couple of rookie mistakes in the beginning. To start with I was around during the first couple of crucial days which was absolutely foolish on my part. There were crazy temp swings, low humidity, and just generally poor conditions that could've been easily fixed if I had been around enough to watch and make sure everything was cool.

Number two is I didn't know my greenhouse, it's temp swings, or habits before I attempted to grow in there.

And number three when I showed up at 4 am the other night, it looked like a UFO was landing in my backyard with how bright the growlights were.  :cruelworld:

Number four I tried to start this grow in three gallon pots which are way too big to be manageable (I now get way people bump up in pot size through the grow)

So hopefully this second attempt will be done right. I'm blacking out the windows by nailing up black plastic sheeting over there.

I'll soak my seeds over night then put them in rapid rooters. Do you guys think I should try to paper towel germinate them or let the rapid rooters do the work?

Thanks

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#235121 - 06/01/09 05:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Alright guys

I got the seeds germing in paper towels... I dropped one of the seeds and it fell through the crack of the floor in my green house :banghead: but at the first sign that they cracked I'll throw them in Rapid Rooter plugs and get them under some lights.

I've also put up black plastic over ever window in my greenhouse and from the outside you can't really tell so I don't have any security fears anymore.

Hope this works.

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#235324 - 06/01/09 10:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Since we got a couple of days before (hopefully) anything interesting happens, I guess I'll show you guys a couple pics of my grow room.

Here's my grow room

Da Nutes!

My veg lights. A 125 watt CFL and a 25 watt flouro

My BFG 1,000 watt HPS light

My seeds hanging out in a germination station

A script and storyboards I'm working on for a movie

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#236541 - 06/04/09 09:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Now I can't even get my seeds to germinate. I'm getting extremely frustrated :mad2:

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#236681 - 06/05/09 11:54 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Woke up this morning and one of my twelve seeds had germinated

Could not be happier. I hope some of the other twelve pop as well but at this point I'm just happy to be making some progress. I threw the germinated seed into one of those Rapid Rooter plugs after dunking it a few times in some PH balanced water. It's now sitting in my germination station with the 25 watt fluoro on it and a comfortable 79 degrees.

Moving inside was the best move I could've made. The temp has been a consistent 77-85 inside my germination station (thank you jesus) and I feel much more confident now. I'm pretty sure I blew up the other seeds with a ridiculous temps they had to face but I still got six more that didn't face those temps out there that I hope pop.

Unfortunately I've run out of my quality beans and I'm having to use bag seeds now but right now it's about learning and getting the process down so I can become a better gardener.

Anyway that's the update from here. I'll keep you guys informed.

OfflineAudz

#236765 - 06/05/09 05:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Here's hoping this round goes better! Good luck!

As for your windows, have you looked into shade-cloth? If you double or triple layer it, it should be near impossible to see through while still giving you some airflow. Don't have any experience with it personally, but it sounds better than a black plastic bag.

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

Re: Guerrilla's First Grow (Skunkberry in Soil) [Re: Audz]
    #236775 - 06/05/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm actually going to move my grow inside and probably just do it in my bedroom or in one of my extra rooms here. It's so much easier and I'm kind of too the point of saying fuck the greenhouse. I may do flower out there but right now I'm not at all confident in that place as a viable place to grow.

Thanks so much for the good vibes and the advice. If I do come around to using the greenhouse, I'll for sure look into shade-cloth. :thumbup:

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#236787 - 06/05/09 10:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Another seed has germinated! This is so exciting. I think from my limited knowledge is that the seeds outside in the greenhouse were having a rough time with the heat. I started five different groups of seeds each days. Two were exposed to the ridiculously horrible temp swings and three from inside. What's exciting to me is the seed that just germinated was from the batch I thought I torched with 110 degrees. It seems that now that the seeds are in the proper environment, they're starting to pop. A couple more look like they could pop soon. This is great!

So I got two out of twelve now hanging out in rapid rooters in the germination station doing their thang. And it looks like for now most of the problems I was having earlier are past. :whoo: On to the next round of problems and frustrations lol.

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#237285 - 06/07/09 05:54 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Success!

Got home from a camping trip this afternoon and went into my room to discover two beautiful sprouts come from the the rapid rooter cubes and several more seeds germinated. Unbelievable! Those little sprouts absolutely shot up, it's incredible how much they grew in just a day.

I'll post a more detailed report and pics later but I'm exhausted so I'm going to catch a nap.

83 degrees in the germination station
46% humidity

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#237498 - 06/08/09 02:01 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Day 8

They're starting to pop like they got the blood lust. I simply cannot believe the progress they've made in one day. Switching to a more suitable climate was such a money decision. I learned from mushroom growing that looking at your grow all the time can only hurt it and frustrate you but I do take a look ever couple of hours or so. It's unbelievable that every time I look at them, they've made noticeable progress. Just in the time between my earlier post and this time, one plant that I was worried about because of it being bent over at a dead looking angle has shot up like Superman and a third sprout has appeared. By the way, these rapid rooters are a big fucking win. My seeds seem to be really responding to them and they're really easy to use and work with. I'm not sure how to water them or keep them moist, I'm going to research it right after this post. However, my plants look really happy right now so I don't want to fuck with them. I know over-watering is a hardcore n00b mistake and as evidence with the first page of this post, I've already made a lot and I'd like to steer clear of as many more as I can. The one thing that surprised me today was the temp swing when putting a 125 watt fluoro directly above my plants (I'd always heard you can place CFLs inches away from the plants without a temp swing, but that's not my experience. The plastic box my plants are in right now probably has something to do with it and I'll keep track of this as this goes along but just wanted to note it here.) The temp swung up as much as 15 degrees into the high 90s which really concerned me. I rearranged my grow space and placed a fan on the lights to keep the temp in an optimal range but that's something to keep in mind in the future.

What my germination station looks like right now with the two fluoros on it.

80 degrees
43% humidity

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#237689 - 06/08/09 05:20 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

WOW!!! Look at the progress in 15 hours! I'm telling you man, these plants got the blood lust. I'll definitely transplant them into some small pots with soil tomorrow but so far these rapid rooters are the big fucking win.

I know you all do this every day and it's mundane for you but man I'm creating life in my closet, it's amazing to me :grin:

78 degrees
40% humidity

Edited by Guerrilla (06/08/09 05:29 PM)

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#237788 - 06/08/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm getting a little concerned as the leaves on my plants have been drooping. Some more than others.

This one is really bad

I don't know if it's something I shouldn't worry about or if it's a problem. I haven't watered the plants since dunking the rapid rooters in water and only now just misted thinking they may be thirsty (they popped up early yesterday and I haven't watered them) I also this may think it's because of my low humidity (always around 40%)

Should I be concerned?

But man they're growing like crazy, they're growing so fast that I'm actually a little concerned that they're going to be pushing against the plastic top on my germination station when I wake up in the morning. I can't wait to transplant these babies in the morning. I'm going to go with a 20% coco coir, 10% perlite, and 70% seedling start mix to avoid water problems and hopefully keep these babies maintaining their blood lust.

Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Loc: Pacific NW
    #237827 - 06/08/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

those just look like the baby leaflet.. those shrivel up once the plant starts growing. can trim them, and the first set of leaflets that come out after it gets into veg stage

--------------------

Third grow  Third grow  Second grow  First grow(in that order) Fun Times :smile:

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

Re: Guerrilla's First Grow (Skunkberry in Soil) [Re: helmet]
    #237865 - 06/09/09 02:34 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Helmut, you were right. They actually look much better now a few hours later. :thumbup:

Just went out to my greenhouse to get a little vaped out and think about the next step in this process. I came up with a cool idea to hang and adjust my lights in the closet for the rest of the veg process, came up with a idea to hang my temp gauge, and also mixed up some PH balanced water for misting my plants tomorrow. Eariler this evening when I check on my plants, two of the rapid rooters felt dry so I dropped some PH'ed balanced water with a eye dropper on both of them and the plants seem happy.

I used zip ties to hang my 25 watt light in the closet which makes total fucking sense and so simple. I'm probably one of the dimer ones on this board but I've been fighting with the ridiculous light hanging methods that come with the lights. Why do they make 'em so impractical and fucking flimsy. Here I'm trying to hang a 20 pound $350 dollar light and they send along skinny fucking pieces of tin that bend and easily fall out of the holes if you don't exact a precise combination of zen mastery and hulk hogan pressure on both sides to lift and hang the bitch. Not to mention the ridiculousness of try to raise and lower the thing. I'm sure all of you are laughing at my stupidity right now (I used to try to use 20 ft dog chains for my lights... yeah I was masochist) However zip ties seem to make the most sense. Number one because they won't suddenly decide to go bitch cakes and drop the light on your foot (...which hasn't happened to me... multiple times... making me scream out... like a bitch) or worse drop it on the floor and break it. Plus you just have to pull 'em tighter to raise and to readjust the lights lower, just cut one off and put a new one in. Fucking simple... at least for me right now.

By the time I came in from getting vaped out, and took one last look for the night. I was amazed that one of the plants was already pushing against the plastic of the germination station. Amazing how well that all worked and how much they exploded in the last 36 hours. I hope I can have as much luck with the rest of the grow as I have for the last two days.

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#238062 - 06/09/09 03:42 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

About to transplant hours into soil in an hour or two. The plants are just screaming in growth right now, it's amazing. I've sent this afternoon rounding up everything I need for soil. It took about five stops but here's what my soil is going to consist of

25% FFOF
25% FF Happy Frog Soil Conditioner
30% Coco Coir
20% Perlite
And a sprinkling of Dolomite Lime.

I tried to find Happy Frog potting soil all day but everywhere I went was soil out. I was surprised to find that Ace Hardware carries the entire Fox Farm line for cheap. Also I'm pissed off that Miracle Gro Perlite is a scourage on the gardening consciousness as I had to go to four or five stores today trying to find non-Miracle Gro perlite (Fred Meyers baby)

Anyway I'll be back in awhile with pics

OfflineGuerrilla
Stranger

#238099 - 06/09/09 06:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Just transplanted into small soil containers and give the plants a bit of water. A lot of them were drooping and hanging at weird angles but they look infinitely happier and healthier now. The transplanting process was quite delicate, I was really worried about hurting the root sticking out of each rapid rooter but it's been a little while and they seem to be fine. In the future I was place germinated seeds in rapid rooters already in soil so as to avoid this unnecessary step. But it's a learning process and I've learned a lot and my plants still seem happy.

I'll post pics in a little bit.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order