Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Getting seeds...
    #480659 - 09/22/10 07:07 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So, does anyone have a link to a good guide for harvesting pollen and knocking up one of the branches on my girls?

Every time I've ever had a male I've just killed it off, but since auto-flowering plants can't be cloned, I'd like to get some seeds. At the same time, I don't really want to sacrifice my entire plant to seeds, and I really don't want to screw up my grow room and get pollen everywhere...

Is there any way I can just kill most of the male flowers on a plant (ripping them off maybe?) and collecting the pollen from just one set?

Thanks!

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSalviaNshrooms9090
Buddhist Monk
Male

Loc: Peru
Re: Getting seeds... [Re: RasJeph]
    #480666 - 09/22/10 07:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

wad up hommie ... you need a brush like a tooth brush and get a little bit of pollen on it and just gently brush your girls where you want seeds.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Getting seeds... [Re: RasJeph]
    #480685 - 09/22/10 08:23 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Remove the male from the grow room. Myself it goes outside. Wait and collect pollen. I use a glass pan. Just bump the plant against it and pollen covers the bottom.

Use a model paint brush to apply to bud sites.

Never let pollen into the grow room. Thats one fuck up I'll never forget.

There's a tek on this some where on this site.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Getting seeds... [Re: KaptKid]
    #480689 - 09/22/10 08:32 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I separate the male, like KK I bring him outside, preferably into the garage if I'm feeling extra paranoid.

I use a mirror, shake the male over the mirror, collect the pollen like I'm about to blow a line, then roll a dry Q-tip into the "line".  If it doesn't stick well, blow a hot breathe on the Qtip and quickly try it again, it should stick this time.

Bring the qtip inside, I'd go change clothes and shower, but that's just me, then without the pollen, go shut off your ventilation and fans.  It should remain off for at least 4-6 hours IMO.  Now go get your pollen and come back and select the buds you want pollinated and just dab the pistils lightly in a few different locations.  It doesn't take much to turn a bud into full seed, so apply sparingly.

I like to wait until AT LEAST 2-3 weeks into 12/12, and wouldn't try pollinating after 4 as It probably won't be viable or the seeds could come out immature.

Turn your fans and ventilation on after the time has elapsed and you should be OK. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck :thumbup:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Getting seeds... [Re: Inverted]
    #480710 - 09/22/10 09:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet, thanks!

Bringing the male outdoors really isn't an option for me I don't think...by the time I have one ready to give me pollen it will be too cold out. I have a separate box I could prolly put him in until I've got what I need (and then won't use it again, unless I need pollen).

How long into the males flowering will it release its pollen? I usually off them at the very first site of male flowers, so I'm not familiar with how it will look once its ready to drop its pollen.

2-3 weeks into 12/12. How does this translate over into an autoflower? 2-3 weeks after it starts to show its sex?

Might be cutting it close if the males don't drop pollen within that 2-3 weeks but I figure they do, thats why you get them out as early as possible, right?

Thanks again...hopefully I'll have a bunch of good, viable seeds from this. Not quite ready yet, but I like to have my plan set up first.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #480720 - 09/22/10 09:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
I separate the male, like KK I bring him outside, preferably into the garage if I'm feeling extra paranoid.

I use a mirror, shake the male over the mirror, collect the pollen like I'm about to blow a line, then roll a dry Q-tip into the "line".  If it doesn't stick well, blow a hot breathe on the Qtip and quickly try it again, it should stick this time.

Bring the qtip inside, I'd go change clothes and shower, but that's just me, then without the pollen, go shut off your ventilation and fans.  It should remain off for at least 4-6 hours IMO.  Now go get your pollen and come back and select the buds you want pollinated and just dab the pistils lightly in a few different locations.  It doesn't take much to turn a bud into full seed, so apply sparingly.

I like to wait until AT LEAST 2-3 weeks into 12/12, and wouldn't try pollinating after 4 as It probably won't be viable or the seeds could come out immature.

Turn your fans and ventilation on after the time has elapsed and you should be OK. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck :thumbup:

I typically pollinate at day 30-35 for indicas (50-55day strains) and 40 for 10week+ strains. I find this gives the most viable seeds.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Getting seeds... [Re: maryanne3087]
    #480722 - 09/22/10 09:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

My seeds don't mature in less than 3 weeks, I wouldn't recommend doing it quiiiiiiite that late, but each grower has their own preference.  That's the beauty of this hobby :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #480726 - 09/22/10 09:42 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I actually pollinate earlier with Indicas. Prob day 14-21, usually just after the 2nd week. I was mistaken due to a mental fumble thinking of it as I normally grow outdoors.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Getting seeds... [Re: maryanne3087]
    #480728 - 09/22/10 09:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ah makes perfect sense.  I always forget to add that one week to my outdoor flowering times as well. :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds